Thursday, April 28, 2011

SLAP Repair

So the final rundown:

Last Friday: Met with PT (I think I mentioned it but my PT is amazing, she is my age and super smart I love working with her!) she said she thought I tore the Labrum in my shoulder, recommended to have me see sports med Dr.

Monday: Saw sports med Dr. .. she thinks I tore the rotator cuff. Said that I had just earned myself an MRI

Tuesday: Contrast MRI was done, OUCH they actually put a needle into the shoulder joint (all the way into it!) and inject two different dyes....oooh it didn't feel good. (But Jeff was there to support me even if they made him stay out of the room, I love him for coming!)

Wednesday: Met with Dr. Snead, one of the top surgeons in the state, he's worked on pro athletes, but mostly focuses on Purdue's athletes. He specializes in shoulder and arm injuries. He took more x-rays and confirmed with the PT, I tore my Labrum. Surgery is required to fix it. He also noticed that the Labrum itself is loose (genetic) so he will tighten it with a few stitches as well, since he will already be in there. :) (This is called a SLAP Repair.)

Future Plans:
May 9th: 12 noon I am having surgery
1-6 weeks: No moving the arm (Thats ok we'll be vacationing in Utah!)
8-14 weeks: PT to gain range of motion back
15-20 weeks: PT to gain strength back
20+ Weeks: Well hopefully I will be back to normal. My main priority is being able to function well as a mom, but secondly .... city league volleyball starts up in September!!!

Apparently this is a common injury with pitchers and volleyball players. Not really preventable, and it wasn't because I didn't stretch out well enough... it just happens.

Back to my PT, I told you she was smart, I had to call her and let her know that she diagnosed me correctly... she's so cool!

So there is my official update. I can't say I am thrilled that surgery is required but I will be happy when my shoulder stops hurting, when I can lift and pour a gallon of milk for my kids, when I can hold Elise with my R arm and not have it hurt, oh yeah and when I can start serving some wild balls again!

1 comment:

The Holdaway's said...

Yuck - hope your recovery goes as expected. I know what it's like to be out of commission for a while. I'm finally off of crutches after 11 weeks, now I just limp. Hopefully by the end of summer I will be back to "normal" for ankle function.