Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Normal Pregnancy?

Good Morning (7 am here!)  I am putting out a blogging question. Whats normal, I'd ask my mom, but honestly as sweet as she is she's not normal when pregnant,  I'd call a sister in Bangkok but can't afford to, and its 5 am in UT  :) 
 
So, here is my question : Braxton Hicks, are theses painful? In my past pregnancies, I don't feel contractions till they are causing a problem, or in Ben's case I never really felt them, and when I did I had what the doctor termed "back labor". Last night I woke up 3 different times with a painful contraction....not normal for me. Talked to a nurse this morning, I'm sure she's  a nice lady and a good nurse, but she didn't help much saying call us back when they are 3-5 minutes apart for over an hour and drink lots of water.  So I'm putting my question out to my blogging mommies...is this normal for others? Can you leave me a comment or email me about whats normal?
 
Other than that I feel great, swim lessons are today and both kids are really excited. We had another round of severe weather last night, making it like the 3rd or 4th severe weather night in the past week. When we lived in UT everyone prayed for rain, out here I think that they pray for the lack of rain. The thunder and lightning (known as Funder and Exciting at our house) was amazing, and we even had some hail around 2 am. Hopefully all these storms will pass and we can have a sunny week.
 
That's it, hope you all have a great day!
Ann

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I can't speak from my personal experiences, but from the many I have seen in L&D. The more pregnancies you have, the more likely you are to contract early. Not preterm labor, just preterm contractions. Most of the time they don't do anything to change your dilation, which means it is not labor and you just get to endure :). Good luck!
P.S. It's true what the nurse said- if they come with some frequency you need to get them checked out. The conservative side is 6 or more contractions in 1 hour.

Nicole said...

I didn't feel contractions with Aubrey until I was in actual labor, and with Rebecca the week before she was born, I started having back and stomach tightening. They told me to lay in water and drink water... try to relax. (I don't remember the exact wording she used) but the nurse told me that laying the the warm water should help soothe the baby and help my body to relax and allow the baby to relax.

Probably no help to you, but really what is normal in pregnancy? I think everyone is different and there are things to be aware of. I would just keep an eye on the timing of the pain and make sure it isn't a steady or consistent pain... but if it keeps happening, make an appointment with your doctor, call the nurse or if they worsen, and they can't get you in... go to the hospital. (I know you are a smart woman and know all that).

Still I am so excited for you to be adding to your family. I hope things keep running smoothly for you for the duration of the pregnancy. :)

Alisha Erin said...

My Braxton-Hicks felt nothing like my labor contractions but they definitely hurt.

Dani said...

Be careful. My preterm labor contractions were always painful...that's how I knew they were the real deal and NOT braxton hicks. Everyone is different, though. Get some rest and remember that a mother's intuition is usually right.

Amy said...

Wow, you shouldn't be having those yet! How are you feeling now?