Amy you asked for a cake tutorial and since I am making a wedding cake this weekend you can get it in stages. Gmail and Facebook don't like it when I put lots of photos in a blog post...not sure why so this will be unconventional. The following pics that I will post will show you the first few steps in making a cake...these are no brain-rs but I've got to start somewhere.
1. Figure out what you are going to do...this is a 3 tier wedding cake.
2. Make your cake mix (My favorite brand to use is pictured here)
3. Grease and Flour pans or use a spray... I like the spray.
4. Fill pans 3/4 full and tap them so air bubbles come to the top. (The small pan will be used for a top tier.)
5. These are pan wrappers that make is to when I bake a large cake it doesn't dome up when it cooks...it keeps it baking evenly and flat...love them! (They are soaked in cold water and then wrapped around each pan)
6. Bake in the oven,.... this is a 12" cake for the base layer so its going to take quite a bit longer to cook esp since its 3" tall.
What to do while this cake takes forever to bake...well for me my house isn't nearly ready for the wedding (yes its here) so I've got a lot of work to do.
Ok I'll post more when I get a few more steps done! Enjoy!