Sunday, February 14, 2010

Recent Cakes

This is the chocolate cake that I made for class this week. I have a friend who's birthday is the day before Valentines Day so it was fitting that it should be given to her as her birthday cake! It was fun to surprise her, and yes giving her the cake was a way of reminding her that she still has to come workout with me everyday this week at 6:30 am!



This second white cake is the one that I made for my family for Valentines Day. The technique is really simple, I know. I hope to be able to advance to more detailed cakes...without my kids putting their fingers in them!





Problems:
1. The white cake's frosting had a hard time sticking to the cake why? How do I do a crumb layer when this is the problem? Does this mean my frosting is too thick? I made it a med consistency.... I guess these questions will be addressed in class this week.
2. I need to have more pie filling, I ran out ( I was using left overs) and so then I added the white in the center, I don't like it but once its on, I didn't want to go through the hassle of taking it off and having to fix it. Lazy me.

4 comments:

Julia and Aaron said...

The cakes look beautiful! and I don't think the second one looks simple at all. I've never really iced a cake but they look professional to me!

Doreen said...

Good looking cakes! They look good online - I bet they tasted fabulous.

Amy said...

Those are really impressive!

Amy said...

Ann! It's so great to finally catch up on your blog. I'm not sure what the problem has been. Your cakes are beautiful! Every time I try and get fancy with a cake and frosting I get crumbs all over the frosting. I love what you did with the train table. It looks great.